The engine...

now or never. Plus... other distractions.


Before I get started, I'd like to thank several people who have been extremely helpful. First, Paul Browne, who took the time to patiently answer all my retarded questions and explain the things about diesel engines that weren't sinking in. Thanks Paul.
Secondly, Chris Ercole, who put in onto Sound Marine Diesel, where the engine came from. Thanks Chris. You've taken a major load off my mind.

Joe DeMers, "Mr. Sound Marine Diesel," rates his own Thank You for being so helpful before, during and after the sale. I have to say Joe got the sale because he made the effort to make sure I knew what I was getting, didn't try to sell me any more engine than I needed and in fact talked me out of the bigger engine I thought I needed, based on some calculators I'd found on the Net. As an aside, there's an outfit just across the river from me who could have sold me a YanMar, had they simply taken an interest in guiding a newbie dieseler. I can easilly understand why Joe's the Beta Marine Salesman of The Year. And you know I don't suffer fools gladly or lavish praise willy-nilly.

Here she is... a [BM_logo.gif] BD722, 20hp. [bd722.gif]
(Click on the picture to go to the BETA MARINE site for the specs. Then come back here to continue.)

Over the course of a couple of weeks, Joe and I traded at least a dozen emails and a dozen phone calls. Then this past Sunday, the momentous event took place. I went to Connecticut to pick up my baby.


We spent an hour or so attaching tubes and pipes, checking and filling fluids, and plugging in the control panel.

I insert the key into the slot, turn to Preheat, ... 8-Mississippi, 9-Mississippi, 10-Mississippi. Turn the key to "START". Varooom! Varoooom! Oh Boy! Yippie! Hot Damn!


She purrs. None of that "clunk, clunk, clunk," you normally hear from a diesel. Joe started explaining why to me but I forgot already. New technology + diesel dummy = steep learning curve. Even without a muffler or engine compartment, she's really quiet.


After removing all the hose-ary, we put the engine into "Ol' Nell", the world's smallest fully-enclosed puckup truck, and I head for home, but not before collecting just about all the attendant paraphernalia; through-hull, raw water strainer, muffler, tons of gee-gaws to complete the installation.

I just realized that I put joe on the spot. The hat wasn't actually free in the normal sense. I traded an Ironworker T-shirt for it. Sorry 'bout that, Joe.

Upcoming... the gantry to get the engine aboard.

Monday was spent getting the engine out of Ol' Nell with the help of Louie's engine lifter. Louie is the mechanic in the front garage. Nell has needed a bit of TLC for some time, so I cut a new panel to go over the spare wheel in the back. This gave me time to think out how the overhead crane was going to go together. As the concept gelled, I built a small toolbox, reminiscent of my very first toolbox, to organise the clutter in the car. I assembled the parts list for the crane. This crane is a real "production" mainly because the engine has to be mobile - inside the boat - for an extended period of time.

Tuesday I went to Hopeless Depot and bought 4 12'x2"x6", (2 for the posts, 2 for the trolley rail), 3 10'x2"x6", (2 for the headers, 1 ripped for the trolley bearing surface), and a mess of 4" lagbolts and washers. Then I proceeded to build the "posts and beams." On my way home I picked up the trolley parts.


This pic is condensed because there's a lot more to go here and I thought I'd try to keep the page at a reasonable length.
UPPER LEFT: Posts screwed to the frames, then lag bolted. They're approx. 5' high at the sheer, and 55" apart.
UPPER RIGHT: Header detail, starboard side. Note the twin headers. The "hangers", which you'll see tomorrow, stradle these header beams, on the inside.
LOWER LEFT: Starboard aft post detail.
LOWER RIGHT: Starboard forward post detail.

Wednesday I spent most of the day wrestling with the rail beam(s). The bearings were ripped and glued-and-screwed on. Then I fabbed the hangers. Roughed out the trolley.

Thursday started with hanging the rail hangers and screwing some pemporary supports for the rails, (seen here after the rails went up.)


The rails practically flew up on their own. In no time at all I had them both bolted to the hangers. These hangers are T-shaped at the top. They merely sit on the headers and can slide back and forth on the headers. The fit is close enough between the paired headers that the hangers can be immobilized with bar clamps. The point being, the entire rail/trolley/crane may need go travel forward and backward once the engine is on centerline.


Here's a close-up of the finished trolley.


And here's what the trolley got made from.


On Tuesday I went first to Jay's Pedal Power in my neighborhood, Kensington, and the kids there said they didn't have any skateboard parts, but they did send me to Sub Zero at 5th and South. When I got there, Shain took a sincere interest in my bizarre request, "Hiya. I'm building a boat. I need a junk skateboard, or some junk skateboard parts. I don't want to spend a lot of money." Shain: "We have just what you're looking for." Five minutes and 15 bucks later I was on my way home again. (10 bucks for the wheels, 5 for both trucks.)
Thanks Shain!

Much to my relief, the hoist chain reaches the engine without having to rig up twice. I wasn't completely certain of this minor detail until I'd lowered the hook.
Still to come, in the nagging uncertainty department, is beefing up the hangers. Before actually picking up the engine, those hangers are going to need some robustasizing. That's first up in the morning. I need to dream the detail tonight.


Well... I had several dreams. They got more and more complicated too. In the end, when I woke up, the answer turned out to be quite simple. Aluminum straps, hung straqight down from the top to the sides of the hangers. See, it's a matter of spreading out the point loading. The entire affair, engine, chain fall, and crane beam weigh about 300 lbs. As such, each of the crutial points carries 75 lbs. I was reasonably certain that the standing parts would hold but the T-hangers were another matter. The tops of the "T"s bolt into the end grain of the verticle bits, albeit offset at angles. Not the best solution. The straps convert the load into sheer force which is a lot stronger.


Is this an itsy-bitsy engine...


Or what?


Here she is sitting on the temporary sole plate. She could be lowered even more, (a good thing,) since there's plenty of room in the bilge.

2004/05/19 update...

I waited way too long to order more epoxy. I don't know why. Cheapness, I guess. I've known for some time I'd need more. Just kept putting and putting it off until, finally, I'd run out, (yesterday.) The last of it went into sheathing the latter two panels of the quarterberth. Then the very last bit got mixed up as adhesive to glue up the bearing strips for the QB lids. With the engine compartment housing in place there won't be room for doors or drawers back there.


There's plenty to do until the goop arives; preparing the fronts for these compartments, cutting and fitting all sorts of parts, making them ready-to-go as soon as the goop flows again...


... like installing all four portlites. Done. And B-E-A-U-tiful. Got home to find the epoxy waiting.



The weekend was spent doing the Spring Cleaning, inside and out, top to bottom, front to back. Mongo did most of it and I found things to do that didn't produce more clouds of dust - chief among those was gooping in the rest of the transom and filling the last hull sections between the firewall and the transom itself.

Just for giggles, I made the cutout for the propane stove and dropped it into the countertop just "for show."

Things came to an abrupt halt when I snapped the blade of my large Japanese saw and slashed the back of my right thumb wide open. The shop looks like an abattoir, blood all over the floor. I was leaking like an open faucet. So, along with the sweat (it's getting hot in there,) and tears (part of the game), there's yet more blood. Ah... "Love!" It's way too late to take a chainsaw to my Baby.
Mo' helped me get bandaged up and that was "it" for Sunday.
Turns out the cut is only about 1" long. The good news is it's sealed up pretty tight.


[Thistle in the jungle]

I'm still waiting for parts, so I'm continuing to bring the Q-berth along. Meanwhile, it's finally getting warm again. Mongo came over again this past weekend and continued, (I should say "finished"), the Spring cleaning. Along with the other goings on I set up "Maddog!"'s T-shirt factory.


I make a fresh batch of customized shirts every year, then proceed to destroy them; either burning holes in them welding, or getting them so glooped up they can stand on their own. Black/silver logo for the boys.


White/red logo for the girls.


Joann, the next door neighbor, modelling an early yellow version.
Some of the pics, out in the sunlight, didn't show the proper contrast,
so I went back to

Got a very nice email from a Kindred Spirit recently. Have a look at his building project. Then have a look all around his site to see the other cool stuff that keeps him busy.



The back (near the hull) part of the Q-berth was too deep to be able to lean up against while sitting, even with a cushion(to be made,) and too wide for sleeping on in a seaway, so I made a cubby to store bedding or pillows or whatever. Later on there'll be leecloths out at the front too.


It's 18" high overall. The cubbies are 12" high inside and the shelf above it 6". The doors will swing down on piano hinges, kept shut with rare earth magnet pairs, 2 pairs per door. The left door is 20" wide, the right 14" wide. Oh yeah!... It all gets painted white.

Time to put this page to bed.
On to the next engine page... Engine, page 2

This way --> [home2.] Home.[chaos]

Got any questions or comments? [dawg1email.jpg] Click on Cool Dawg's nose to Email me.

Written 2004/05/11
Continued 2004/06/06