Keeping busy until rollover eventually happens.

February '03...

I say "eventually" because despite my best intentions of having ALBATROSS rightside up by now, for the last three months it seems that every pocketful of spare change has been spent getting my firehouse ready for sale.
This included taking days off from work, renting four dumpsters, hiring men each time, and removing 50 cu.yds. of muck from the basement, 30 cu.yds. of trash from the ground floor and 30 more yds. from the second floor.
Mortgage payments, utility bills and repairs further frustrated attempts to amass the necessary funds for a crane and crew to flip the big ugly shed.
But enough of that. You're not here to listen to my tales of woe. The firehouse is under Agreement. Settlement is scheduled for mid-April. [Fingers crossed], funds will be free flowing at that time.

It's been preying on my mind that painting the bottom now, while I have gravity working for me might not be a bad idea. That, and getting something/anything done that didn't cost too much money AND would be easier now than later, would be progress.

Homemade copper/epoxy paint seems like a perfect DIY project. Turns out it is, and a real money saver too. Two coats at of a gallon each, + 4 pounds of copper powder (each coat) = about $160.00
Source the brand name stuff to see why it pays to think outside the hull.

I'd asked Paul Oman last year about his copper powder and its effectiveness as a bottom coating. At the time he would only say that it was a "copper colored pigment". Since then he's done some research of his own and concurs with me in thinking that copper mixed into epoxy amounts to copper/epoxy bottom paint.
A couple of weeks ago I called Paul and had a pleasantly long and rambling conversation with him, touching upon, among other subjects, copper/epoxy. It was gratifying to hear that some experiments had been done that corroborated my intuition. Thanks Paul!!!
SEE: the link below for the details.

Vacuumed the pall of dust that settled in the last three months.
Waterline masked.

Mopped the hull with acetone.

Brian proudly displays the fruit of our research:
Progressive Epoxy Polymers' Copper Powder

Normal bowls aren't big enough to mix 72 ounces of goop at a time.
Note the super spiffy stainless and non-stick spatula! -
a gift from She Who Puts Up With Me.

One batch gone. First coat done.

Rollin', rollin', rollin' ...

...keep that dawgie rollin'.

" nap makes short work of a big job.

"Shiny New Penny".

Please disregard the driving snow storm. Brian and I did.
(We didn't have the door open the whole time, only long enough to take this picture.)

For the inevitable questions, some answers.

Last weekend Brian and I vacuumed the hull - twice - to get all the accumulated dust off the hull and vac'ed the shop as well. Then we masked the waterline. The WL itself was lasered several months ago with a Rube Goldberg I devised for the job.
Saturday we wrapped a towel around my 24" broom, slopped on a liberal amount of acetone and wiped down the entire hull(below WL).

Then we mixed up the concoction in two batches. Even at 40F we were somewhat leary of mixing the entire lot at once. We needn't have feared though, the stuff had barely set 24 hours later when we went to apply the second coat. Even using RAKA's epoxy, which is thinner than PEP's, the mix was a tad stiff to roll easilly. So we added meager amounts of acetone to smooth things out. I Swear Paul! Meager amounts! Rolling went much easier after that. The first coat took about an hour and a half, no doubt because we fell to gabbing in between batches.

Sunday, braving the elements, The Snowstorm of the Century, the howling blizzard, Brian and I again met at the usual time, consumed coffee and frozen donuts (left in the shop overnight), gabbed, then got right to work.
Realizing that the first coat was a bit "patchy" looking, mainly from rolling patches on missed spots, we decided to mix the entire second coat in one swell foop - so that the second coat had the exact same amount of copper throughout. There wasn't any way it could go exothermal in that icebox. The second coat took 15 minutes to mix and 45 minutes to roll.

Thought I'd forgotten about the ballast keel, didn'cha? Well I didn't. We rolled the ballast keel twice also, with the exception of the very bottom, which I'll get to when it's "on the hook", (hanging from the crane in Ironworker Talk.) Or... when the boat is propped up on its stand. Or... maybe never. Might be kind of cute with a little goatee when I go skindiving.

I'll try to think of some more time fillers until the crane arrives. Thanks for stopping by.

[rollover.jpg] Beethoven...

Written 03/02/17, IOW 2003/Feb/17